AGE – BEST CRITERIA:
In 1cy, whole plumage is fresh, including wing and tail. Adult shows worn wing and tail (but note that some may include single RR in the post-breeding moult). Birds from both age classes may occsionally show moult contrasts in innermost GC9-10. Colour of iris is supportive.
- Whole wing is fresh. Signs of wear starts to show in tips of PP during mid or late autumn.
- Tail is fresh and uniform.
- Colour of iris is rather cold brownish-olive.
- Whole wing is worn, often notably so in GC, PC and tips of PP.
- Whole tail is worn, but occasionally single RR may have been included in the post-breeding moult.
- Colour of iris is warm brown.